Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mango flies

Don't ever get bit once. Or 15 times. On your back. Because they aren't really biting you. They are laying eggs - ie larvae. Which your wife then has to pop out. Like a zit. Except they are alive and squirming. Did I mention 15 times?

Oh but don't get me wrong, we are having a wonderful time! And I have been terrible at updating, but we have been busy! In between all the swimming, there has been work, hanging out with the Corry clan, visiting a school for orphaned children, going to the grand opening of the high school that the kids built themselves, seeing the mouth of the Nile (Simon now wants to go to Egypt to see where it ends), listening to the hyrax ALL night long ( a seriously torturous cry), and did I mention alot of swimming?

Most recently we ventured to Owino Market. What a place! It was crazy - so many people, so much stuff - shoes, suitcases, fabrics, electronics, clothes, wedding dresses - whatever you needed you could find x10. Although after awhile we were concentrating on getting out - which at times didn't seem like it was going to happen. There is nothing like getting lost in an African market. I had a death grip on Soph and I think Eric was doing the same with Simon. A very cool experience that I don't think any of us will forget anytime soon!

Simon has discovered tennis - the apartment complex we are staying at has a tennis pro. If I'd been thinking we would have signed him up for lessons before today, but he had a great time and is going back tomorrow. Sophie is keeping well entertained with emailing all day long. She recently discovered chatting and she said it was just like talking to her friend, so she is happy. Eric is off at Holland House with another Dutch Canadian we met at the Rainforest Lodge last weekend.

We have 8 days and while it has been great, I think we are all ready to come home. We can't wait to jump in the Bay and play with our puppy - I hope she remembers us! We head to Kenya on Tuesday to spend sometimes with the Bailey's and then home to KLA on Friday. We're hoping to do a quick trip out to the village when we get back and then an early flight home on Monday. If I don't write again I will definately do a debrief when we get back to NA!