Friday, June 18, 2010

I need a vacation.

Oh wait, I AM on vacation. Vacationing is exhausting. But I am not complaining. No I am not. I am actually happy that tonight we are staying in and watching the England vs Nigeria game.

We have had busy busy busy days. Of course we had to start with the double decker bus tour - the kids had a great time. We saw/hit all the high spots culminating with a ride on the Millenium Wheel after a boat tour down the Thames. When we first started talking about this trip, Soph was adamant that she was going to ride The Eye. So she did. So we all did. Having a fear of heights and closed in things, I was hesitant, but for my baby girl, I would do anything! And it really wasn't that bad.

I would post some pictures, but: a) I have no idea how to and b) Simon can't wait to surprise everyone with a slide show when we return. Simon renamed himself the pigeon pappararazi (I have no idea how to spell that word)- you can imagine how fun his pictures are! Both kids are having a great time taking their own pictures - we will have editing to do!

The next day, Wednesday, we rented a car and headed towards to Cantebury. Just a tip - don't print up pictures to go along with the google map directions. It doesn't work. Funny, a regular map is easier!! Anyway, we happened upon Hever Castle on the way. It was the childhood home of Ann Boelyn and then owned by the Waldorf Astor family. It was fun! They had 3 mazes, a castle tour and the most beautiful gardens.

Aftre a sometimes perilous drive on English country roads, we made it to Cantebury. We stayed at the Sun Hotel - a tavern from the 1500's that Dickens stayed at way back when. We had a great view of the Catherdral steeple and enjoyed walking around the church yesterday (except for Sophie who was majorly creeped out by all the dead bodies). The day ended (It's not over yet?!?) by the drive back to London and a peaceful picnic at Kensington Park. The kids frolicked in the Princess Diana Memorial fountain and crashed as soon as we got back.

Which FINALLY brings us to today. Eric had to work, so he dropped the kids and I off at the Globe Theatre. Sophie had read 2 books based on Shakespeare in school, so she really wanted to see the Theatre in person. We did a tour, checked out the museum and met back up with Eric. After a short tube ride (kids are free!) we ended up at Buckingham Palace. The flag was up, but we didn't see any heads peeking through the curtains.

So here we are - did I say I needed a vacation? We leave for Uganda tomorrow night. We're going to try to hit a couple of museums before we leave, but if we don't make it we will put it on the list for next time!!!

No comments: